Friday, March 28, 2008

Final 2007 Rumble Pictures Meeting

Rumble Pictures
End-of-Year Meeting
Friday 14th December, 2007
Jesus Family Center

A letter from Maria Tran,

Hi there Rumble Member from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. I'm currently in Vietnam until the 6th of January, 2008 and having a whole bunch of Rumble Pictures/ MC2 projects to undertake and also loving it. Unfortunately, I cannot be at our very last yearly Rumble Meeting *sniff*, however, that will not deter me from being apart of it J

Vietnam Film Industry Contacts
I've attempted contacted to the following VN film industries and have given them a copy of Rumble Pictures 2007 Showreel (Compilation by T. Ly) and am awaiting for their reply which I was advised could take up to more than a week.
Ho Chi Minh City Film Industry Company
Crea TV VIETNAM
Phuoc Sang Entertainment Corporation
HK Film
Giai Phong Film Industry
But not to worry. The aims of sending their showreel is to get them familiarised with Rumble Pictures and our works and perhaps establish some sort of relationship in future that could be useful for our own future projects. In regards to Johnny Minh Tri, I'm having a hard time tracking this guy down. Apparently, he just left to go back to the states.

MC2 Promotional Materials
Still shopping around for the best deals in terms of poster printing and other merchandise. I'm looking at $10 per poster at the moment and $1.50 on picture printed keyrings and $7 on mugs.

Dust of Life Project
I've been running around trying to get contacts, getting rejected and told off, etcmany of the foundations and NGOs work on very dodgey practices, but after 20 places I've settled for one where I'll be teaching English to the local orphans boys from 7-16 for the last duration of my stay (3ish weeks) at the Mai Am Tan Binh House. I kinda had to bluff my way a bit and say that I teach in Australia. (Which of course I do with Mission Australia and their home english tutoring scheme) hehehe! I've enlisted a Project coordinator?hehehe! And she and I have also been shopping around for books, pencils, paper, toys and wrapping them up for different orphan groups.

Yesterday was first lesson was so nerve racking. It started off 8 kids and at the end of the session I had 20 eager little boys to teach basic introductions and numbers from 1-20. We played games, had little counting competitions, did some number searches and role plays. These kids were so thirsty for knowledge and asked a whole heap of questions about the world, of which, often I'm puzzled myself.

Today (Thursday, 13th) I travelled for 4 hours to visit a what I would say, poverty stricken place. Beggars were everywhere and the amount of provisions I had for them was definitely not enough. I see so many people; missing limbs, unrecognizable human features, I'd listened to some of their stories. Locals have warned me earlier that most are professional beggars and this is what they do for a living. But I knew better. Out of all professions, I think begging isn't something that one would willingly chose. I latter found out that they have a beggar camp where orphan children were taken to, grown till the age of 5 and then had their limbs removed for the sake of their profession? I guess wanting to change the world and facing realism is two different things that I feel so torn apart on. I seriously don't know what to feel anymore, about myself, my abilities on what I can actually possibly do.

Unpolished Gem - By Alice Pung

Just as a sideliner note, I've been reading this great novel by Melbourne lawyer/ writer and it is fantastic material and insight into the Asian-Australian experience. It contains pages after pages of funny little typical Asian?moments that I can definitely identify with.

Maximum Choppage: Round 2
Just a reminder to all that MC2, project made by founder T. Ly and shared amongst all, is on the road to completion. Its been a long and hard journey with so many obstacles, challenges, long long shoots, in which, both cast and crews have so dedicated themselves to. Sometimes it may feel all hopeless; and that the end seems impossible, however, keep in mind that this project aims to create epicness out of nothingness?
Epicness includes, building our film empire outside the Aussie Film industry, being the first true Australian Suburban Action Martial arts film.
Nothingness entails, shot with no-budget (doesn't go lower than this!), reliance on volunteers to run production from A-Z (From my research, there has never been a production that has run for 4 years that main blood source are the volunteers, btw, by nothingness I mean that volunteers are unconventional used in this area), produced in south-west Sydney Cabramatta (hardly anything positive imaged projects has come from this area), youth-orientated all the way! (young people are often stereotype as be incapable of a grand scale project).
Personally, MC2 is like getting a waiter to do brain surgery. We are all riding against the conventions placed before us and we will see MC2 through!

Signing off, I want to say have a great and wonderful Christmas. Its been a wonderful and magical year, and on behalf of the Rumble Core Members, thank you for dedicated your time and efforts, no matter how big or small to the shoots, other projects, taking on roles and/or turning up to our meetings. I look forward to see you all again next to launch Rumble Pictures 4-year-old baby project MC2!

No comments: